Monday, December 31, 2012

How to succeed a little while trying very hard

It's funny looking back on a month ago when I published my first book. I felt such a sense of relief and accomplishment seeing my work on Amazon.com for all the world to see. Little did I know that was when the real work began. I established a facebook author page, a twitter account, and this blog. I honestly didn't think that I was going to be an overnight success. I am nowhere near that naive. I did, however, think that the word of mouth would spread a little faster than it did. I am not bemoaning the small amount of success that I have had so far. I am just trying to point out that I was naive enough to not think at all about the publicity end of the whole deal.

It has been very interesting writing this blog and posting on facebook and twitter. I am not normally a person who enjoys the limelight. I don't like receiving any kind of recognition in front of crowd. I would much rather just do what I do and have as few people notice as possible. This has definitely thrust me into an entirely new realm. I tweet, which at some point I probably swore I'd never do, and I get my name and the title of my work out by any means I can find.

I have heard many "authors" on the various writing sites and forums, complaining about their lack of sales or that they have tried everything and just can't get the word out. It's not rocket science and no one is going to do it for you. I don't believe there is any such thing as an overnight success. With the ease of self-publishing now and the number of people trying to make it big as authors I don't think it's going to get any easier. So, if you're an aspiring writer or an aspiring anything else for that matter, use your brain and do the work. Or go ahead and give up. One less name out there just gives the rest of us a slightly better chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment